Here are our top 5 tips for taking toddlers to Rome:
- Relax, if you can't take the tour then just appreciate the architecture. We had to prioritise and plan. We saw the Colloseum whilst the littlest was snoozing, but mostly admired the historic buildings from the piazas outside, whilst the boys explored the surroundings.
- Visit the Explora Children's Museum, it is toddler paradise with role play, sensory and science and everything is completely hands on. You may have tears when it is time to leave, but it is a great way to balance out the day.
- Eat more ice cream - it makes everyone happier. On the same note, always pack plenty of baby wipes!
- Bring a lightweight buggy if you can, the metro isn't pushchair friendly and you will be carrying it up and down stairs. We had to take a double, and it was pretty heavy!
- Staying outside the city gave us a bit of balance. The boys enjoyed playful mornings at the pool before exploring in the afternoon, and we had a quiet but perfect day at a local beach. Travelling with toddlers is about compromise and actually this made us all happier.
Good luck if you give it a go!